It is important to carefully manage your power usage and battery charging settings on your laptop if you spend more time away from the office or home. When you buy windows 7, you can modify the power and battery settings will prevent your laptop from running out of power. This often involves clicking the battery meter icon from the desktop toolbar and modifying the laptop’s power plan. To launch the power and battery plan options dialog box, click the battery saver icon in the notification area on the right hand side of the laptop’s taskbar.
Choose the Right Battery Settings
• Locate the battery status display at the top of the dialog box. The display shows the remaining charge in the battery and whether the battery is currently plugged into a charging or power supply system.
• Click the check box located beside the power plan option that perfectly fits your current power needs.
• Choose ‘High Performance’ if the laptop is fixed to an external power supply and the battery is charging.
• However, if you want Windows 7 to optimize the laptop’s power settings or you do not need to save power, select ‘Balanced’.
• To run your laptop on battery power only for the longest time, choose ‘Power Saver’.
You can save significant amounts of power on your laptop by avoiding power consuming activities like playing games online or burning DVDs.
Screen Brightness and Power Settings
Windows 7 is an operating system built by Microsoft. The system offers endless supply of modification options to make a computer work according to users’ needs. For example, the operating system has power management tools that allow you to change the duration it takes to turn off your display when not in use. This is a very useful feature that helps preserve your laptop’s battery power and extend the life of your laptop’s monitor.
• Click ‘Start’ and select ‘Control Panel’.
• Choose ‘System and Security’ and then click ‘Power Options’.
• Click ‘Choose when to turn off the display’ on the left pane.
• Choose your desired time by clicking the drop down menu next to ‘Turn off the display’.
• Finally, click ‘Save Changes’.
USB Power Settings
The Windows Device Manager utility allows you to manage power settings to USB ports on your laptop. Turning the power off on USB ports when not in use does not only help to save power, but it also helps enhance the security of your computer system.
• Click the ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’.
• Click ‘Performance and Maintenance’ and then ‘System’.
• Choose the ‘Hardware’ tab and click the ‘Device Manager’ button.
• Click the ‘+’ sign on ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’.
• Go to the USB root hub settings and select ‘Properties’ option from the drop-down menu.
• Go to the power management tab and then change the USB port power saving options and click “OK” to confirm.